J-K: Youth killed, another injured in alleged firing by security forces at Budgam

An 18-year-old boy was killed and another person injured today in alleged firing by security forces on a group of stone-pelting youth in Beerwah area of Kashmir's Budgam district.

Published: 21st July 2017 03:59 PM  |   Last Updated: 21st July 2017 06:39 PM   |  A+A-

An Indian army soldier stands guard at site of shootout in Batengoo about 50 Kilometres (31.25 miles) south Srinagar. | AP

Express News Service

SRINAGAR:A youth was killed and another injured in army firing in Beerwah area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district on Friday.

Official sources said army men fired on a group of youth who pelted stones on their patrol while it was returning to their camp at Beerwah area in central Kashmir’s Budgam district this afternoon.

In the army firing, two youth Tanveer Ahmad Pala and Mohammad Ibrahim were injured. Both were evacuated to nearby hospital, where Tanveer, who was hit by bullet in head, succumbed to injuries.

Another injured Ibrahim is undergoing treatment in hospital and his condition is said to be stable.

The killing of youth triggered protests in the Beerwah area.

Large number of people including men and women took to roads to protest the killing of youth.

They demanded action against the army men involved in killing of youth and injuries to another.

A police spokesman while confirming killing of youth said as per initial information, a foot patrol of army was returning to its camp and near Beerwah some miscreants pelted stones on them.

“Someone among the miscreants also hurled a fire cracker towards the army men. Because of bang, the army men thought a grenade was hurled and they retaliated by firing. Two persons were injured in the firing and one of them identified as Tanveer succumbed to injuries in the hospital. Another injured Ibrahim is stable,” he said.

Police sources said police has registered an FIR against Army’s 53 Rashtria Rifles for firing on youth and causing death of one of them.

Defence spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said an army patrol was subjected to heavy stone pelting by a mob in Kondur village near Beerwah town at 1.15 pm today.

He said in no time, the numbers swelled and intensity of stone pelting increased.

“Some stone-pelters tried to close in with the patrol and snatch weapons from the soldiers. Two persons were reportedly injured when troops opened fired.  One of the injured, however, later succumbed to injuries,” Kalia said.

After the killing, tension gripped Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir.

The Valley was already tense in view of “UN march” and shutdown called by the separatists against civilian killings and security forces highhandedness.

Meanwhile, authorities imposed tough restrictions in parts of Srinagar today and sealed all roads leading to United Nations military observers Office at Sonawar in Srinagar to foil “UN march” called by the separatist against civilian killings in Valley.

A police official said curfew-like restrictions were imposed in eight police stations areas in Srinagar to foil the separatists march and maintain law and order.

He said all roads leading to UN office in Srinagar were sealed to prevent separatist leaders and their workers from staging a sit-in near the UN observers’ office.

The police and CRPF men had placed barricades and concertina wires on the roads leading to UN office and set up check points in curfew-hit areas to restrict movement of people.

Authorities for the 5th consecutive week did not allow Friday congregation prayers at historic Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar.

“I tried to move towards the Jamia to offer Friday prayers there. However, I was stopped by policemen outside my residence and they did not allow me to move towards Jamia Masjid. They told me to offer Friday prayers in a local mosque,” said Shafiq Ahmed, a resident of Nowhatta in downtown Srinagar.

All top separatist leaders including Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Shabir Shah and Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai were placed under house arrest while JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was detained after he tried to march towards the UN office in Srinagar.

The life in Valley was today paralysed by the strike called by separatists against civilian killings, security forces harassment and curbs on leadership and people.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp