STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

BJP rejects contention of impropriety in additional solicitor general arguing for Jay Shah

A news report said that Jai Amitbhai Shah’s firm reported 16,000 times more turnover in a year before winding up operations.

Published: 09th October 2017 09:13 PM  |   Last Updated: 09th October 2017 09:13 PM   |  A+A-

Jay Shah (L), son of BJP President Amit Shah (File | PTI)

By Express News Service

NEW DELHI: The BJP rejected the contention of impropriety that the additional solicitor general Tushar Mehta would be arguing criminal defamation case on behalf of the party chief Amit Shah’s son Jai Amitbhai Shah against a web portal. In a news report, the portal claimed that Jai Amitbhai Shah’s firm reported 16,000 times more turnover in a year before winding up the operations. Union Minister Piyush Goyal stated that a law officer could argue a case of a private person after taking permission from the government.

Speaking to reporters, Goyal stated that Mehta had been given permission by the Union Minister for Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad to argue the defamation case, which is being filed in Ahmedabad against the author of the news report and three other persons of the web portal.

The BJP also rejected the purported comparison with the alleged windfall gains of Robert Vadra, who is son-in-law of the Congress president Sonia Gandhi. “In the case of Jai Shah, he took legitimate and legal loans to undertake a business activity in contrast to Vadra who got loan from an entity and bought land from the same while getting the government to change the land use and subsequently sell the real-asset to the same business house,” said a Union Minister, while speaking off-record with reporters.

Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Smriti Irani too jumped in the political slugfest on Monday, while accusing the Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi for presiding over “sultanate of corruption”. In a media statement, Irani said that “concocted stories are being planted ahead of the Gujarat Assembly elections to defame the people of the state”. The minister claimed that the people of the state will give “befitting answer to the slander and keep this sultanate of corruption away from themselves”.

“Instead of seeking answers on Rs 80 crores of transactions that are within the purview of the law, it will be more prudent of the Congress to give an account of more than 80 scams and Rs 1,80,000 crore that the people have lost on account of corruption and cronyism of successive Congress government,” stated Irani.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp