STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Indian peacekeepers attacked in Congo, two injured

Army spokesperson Colonel Aman Anand said that the attack on the peacekeepers' post was carried out on Friday in Lubero by the Mai Mai group.

Published: 09th October 2017 09:40 PM  |   Last Updated: 09th October 2017 09:40 PM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

NEW DELHI: Two Indian Army peacekeepers sustained injuries after 30 heavily armed militants attack their post in the troubled North Kivu province in Congo, but Indian forces managed to kill three of the militants after a fierce gunfight. At present India has a total of 2,664 military personnel deployed in Congo under the UN mission there and India has been a major contributor to UN peacekeeping missions with nearly 7,600 military and police personnel in UN peace operations in countries like Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Lebanon, Liberia, the Middle East, South Sudan, Sudan and the Western Sahara.

According to a statement issued by Army Indian peacekeepers under the UN mission in Congo have repulsed a major strike by around 30 members of a militia on their post. Army spokesperson Colonel Aman Anand said that the attack on the peacekeepers' post was carried out on Friday in Lubero by the Mai Mai group which have recently been targeting Congolese Army positions, which is about 300km north of Goma. It is the main town of North Kivu province where dozens of illegal armed groups control several villages.

"Indian peacekeepers repulsed the attack in which three of the attackers were killed and one was wounded. But during the attack, two Indian peacekeepers," Col Anand said.

"Friday's attack was a rare frontal assault on the UN forces deployed for protecting civilians in Congo," said the Army spokesperson.

Previously, an attack by rebels on an Indian post took place in 2010 in Kirumba in North Kivu province when three Indian soldiers were killed after the attackers were able to intrude the base, army sources said. Officials claim that President Joseph Kabila's refusal to step down at the end of his constitutional mandate last December has fuelled unrest in the country's eastern provinces.

They said the Indian brigade currently conducts an average of 2,300 patrols per month in the troubled region, apart from ensuring the protection of civilians.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp