Soldier, porter killed in Pakistan firing in Jammu and Kashmir

During the exchange of fire, seven army men and two defence porters sustained injuries.

Published: 12th October 2017 11:39 AM  |   Last Updated: 12th October 2017 08:32 PM   |  A+A-

Image for representational purpose only.

Express News Service

SRINAGAR: An army man and a defence porter were killed in Pakistani troops firing in Ponch sector of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday while a girl was injured in militants’ grenade attack on beauty parlour in south Kashmir.

Defence spokesman in Jammu, Colonel N Joshi said Pakistani troops breached border ceasefire in Krishna Ghati sector in Poonch district at 10.35 am

“The Pakistani troops fired from automatic weapons and resorted to mortar shelling on army positions and civilian areas,” he said adding the army men effectively returned the fire with similar calibre weapons.

Joshi said during the exchange of fire, seven army men and two defence porters sustained injuries.

“The injured were hospitalised, where sepoy TK Reddy and army porter Mohammad Zahier succumbed to injuries,” he said.

He said other injured are undergoing treatment in the hospital.

Sepoy Reddy, 21, belonged to village Obulapuram, Tehsil Giddaluru, District Prakasam , Andhra Pradesh and is survived by mother Ms Gurrumma.

The 22-year-old army porter Zahier belonged to Village Kalali, Manjakotein Rajouri district of J&K.

The defence spokesman said Sepoy Reddy was a brave and sincere soldier while Zahier was an honest and dedicated worker.

Meanwhile, militants lobbed a grenade towards a beauty parlour in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district this afternoon.

Police sources said militants lobbed a grenade towards the beauty parlour at busy Rajpora chowk in Pulwama district at around 3.45 pm.

They said the grenade exploded outside the parlour, injuring a girl.

Sources said the visitors at the palour escaped unhurt in the blast.

As the policemen rushed to the area to take stock of the situation, a group of youth took to roads and pelted stones on them.

The cops fired tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the protesting youth. The clashes continued for some time.

No militant group has owned responsibility of the grenade attack.

The militants of Lashkar-e-Toiba and Hizbul Mujahideen are active in south Kashmir.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp