JAMMU: A fire today damaged a large hut at a slum housing hundreds of Rohingya Muslims here, a spokesman of the Fire and Emergency Services said, adding timely action by the department saved many lives and property.
The fire was caused by a short-circuit inside the hut at the Narwal bypass on the outskirts of the city, the spokesman said.
He said the department pressed its men and machines and restricted the fire to the affected hut, he said.
The occupants, comprising several families, escaped unhurt in the incident but their belongings got destroyed in the blaze, the spokesman said.
He said dozens of shanties were under the threat but timely action saved life and property of the people living there.