NEW DELHI: The Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru has been adjudged the overall best institution for higher learning in the country by the Union Human Resources development ministry’s national institutional ranking framework.
The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras has emerged as the best engineering college and the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad the best management institute in India in the third chapter of the rankings that were released by Union HRD minister Prakash Javadekar in the capital on Tuesday.
The institutes have been ranked on parameters such as teaching, learning and resources, research, graduation outcomes, outreach and inclusivity and perception.
IISc, Bengaluru also stood first in the university category, followed by Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
Delhi University was ranked at number 7—a spot higher than last year—and just behind Jadavpur University which was adjudged to be the 6th best university in the country.
The premier healthcare institute All India Institue of Medical Science (AIIMS) Delhi was ranked number one institute under medical college category.
Delhi University's Miranda House was the best college and NLSIU-Bengaluru the best law school in the country as per NIRF, which started in 2016 in first such attempt by the government.
Anna University, Chennai which was 6th best university last year, has been ranked at number 4 this year—marking an improvement of two ranks.
NIRF, in its first rankings in 2016, had four categories — universities, engineering, management and pharmacy. This year for the first time medical, law and architecture colleges were also ranked by the NIRF apart.
In 2017, overall and college categories were added. In all, over 4,000 institutions had applied this year as compared to last year when 3,000 institutions participated in the rankings.
The rankings assume significance as the performance of institutions has been linked with “Institutions of Eminence” scheme which the government has been pursuing in a big way.
Rankings(In bracket—last year’s ranking):
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangaluru (1)
2. IIT Madras (2)
3. IIT Bombay (3)
4. IIT Delhi (5)
5. IIT Kharagpur (4)
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (1)
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2)
3. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (3)
4. Anna University, Chennai (6)
5. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad (7)
1. Miranda House, Delhi University (1)
2. St, Stephens, Delhi University (n/a)
3. Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli (4)
4. Hindu College, Delhi (n/a)
5. Presidency College, Chennai
1. IIT Madras (1)
2. IIT Bombay (2)
3. IIT Delhi (4)
4. IIT Kharagpur (3)
5. IIT Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh (5)
1. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad (1)
2. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore (2)
3. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Calcutta (3)
4. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow (4)
5. Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT) Bombay (n/a)
1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
2. Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
3. Christian Medical College, Vellore
4. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
5. King George Medical College, Lucknow
1. National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
2. National Law University, Delhi
3. Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
4. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
5. National Law University, Jodhpur