MUMBAI: A sum of Rs 6.02 crore was today sanctioned by the Maharashtra government as compensation to people who were affected by cyclone Ockhi that hit the state in December last year.
Announcing the compensation, Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Chandrakant Patil said that 8,048 people from Nashik and Konkan divisions would be covered under this package.
This comprises 1,523 farmers in Nashik and 6,525 fishermen in Konkan.
The amount sanctioned for the two areas was Rs 2.37 crore for Nashik and Rs 3.65 crore for Konkan, said officials.
Patil said that the money had already been released to the divisional commissioners there.
The cyclone, which hit the state between December 4-6, caused immense damage, said officials.
Patil said that officials had been directed to deposit the money directly in the accounts of the beneficiaries and banks had been told not to recover any dues from this money.
He said that the money was being provided from the state's emergency fund.
As per the state's plans, Rs 4,100 will be paid for partial repair of trawlers and Rs 9,600 for boats which were completely damaged.
For farmers, Rs 6,800 would be paid to those holding land of upto two hectare.
Patil said that the compensation would not be less than Rs 1,000 in any case.