Jammu and Kashmir: Two policemen killed in twin militant attacks

Two policemen were killed in twin militant attacks in strife torn Kashmir with the militants also snatching rifles from the deceased policemen.

Published: 25th February 2018 04:23 PM  |   Last Updated: 25th February 2018 09:02 PM   |  A+A-

robbery, gunshot, shooting,

Image for representational purpose only.

Express News Service

SRINAGAR: Two policemen were killed in twin militant attacks in strife torn Kashmir on Sunday.  The militants also snatched rifles from the deceased policemen.

A police officer said militants fired towards the policeman guarding the revered sufi shrine at Chrar-e-Sharief in central Kashmir’s Budgam district this afternoon.

He said a policeman identified as Kultair Singh sustained critical bullet injuries and was evacuated to army hospital in Srinagar, where he succumbed to injuries.

The officer said the militants also snatched rifle from the cop before fleeing from the spot.

Immediately after the shoot-out, police and paramilitary personnel laid siege around the area to flush out the militants responsible for the attack.

However, no arrests were reported during the hour-long search operation.

The deceased policeman is survived by aged parents, wife and two sons.

A police officer said preliminary investigations have revealed that two militants were involved in the attack.

The highly revered Chrar-e-Sharif shrine was gutted during the gunfight between militants and security forces in 1995. It was later rebuilt.

In the evening, suspected militants attacked police man guarding the residence of senior leader of separatist Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq in Soura area in outskirts of Srinagar.

A police officer said policeman guarding residence of Fazal Haque Qureshi, who is a an executive member of Mirwaiz led Hurriyat, was fired upon by militants in Soura area in the evening.

He said the policeman was killed in the attack and his weapon snatched by militants.

The deceased policeman has been identified as Farooq Ahmad.

The policemen have been guarding the residence of Qureshi after he survived an assassination attempt in 2009.

After the militant attack, police and CRPF officers rushed to the spot while the security personnel launched search operation in the area to track down the militants.

No militant group has claimed responsibility for the twin attacks on police men.

Police, however, suspect it to be the handiwork of Hizbul Mujahideen or Lashkar-e-Toiba militants.

After the twin militant attacks, security forces have intensified patrolling and vigil across the Valley.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp