STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

India, China have established mechanisms to resolve any misunderstanding: MEA on Doklam

External affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar refused to comment on the Army chief's remarks on China carrying out some "temporary" infrastructure development in the area.

Published: 19th January 2018 06:18 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th January 2018 06:18 PM   |  A+A-

India and China have been locked in a face-off in the Doklam area for more than 50 days after Indian troops stopped the Chinese People's Liberation Army from building a road in the area.

Image for representational purpose only

By PTI

NEW DELHI: India and China have established mechanisms which they use to resolve any "misunderstanding", the external affairs ministry said today and asserted that it was keeping a "constant vigil" on the situation in Doklam.

Responding to questions on reports of Chinese military buildup in the area close to last year's stand-off site, external affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar referred to the ministry's reaction yesterday that "the status quo at the face-off site has not been altered. Any suggestion to the contrary is inaccurate and mischievous."

"We are of course keeping a constant vigil on developments which have a bearing on India's national security and take all necessary steps to safeguard it. The two sides do have, and have used established mechanisms to resolve any misunderstanding," Kumar said.

The spokesperson also refused to comment on the Army chief's remarks. The Army chief had said that Chinese have carried out some "temporary" infrastructure development in the area.

Earlier in Beijing, China justified its massive construction activities in the Doklam area, describing it as "legitimate" and which were aimed at improving the lives of its troops and the people living on its own territory.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang's also said, "China's position on the Donglong (Doklam) area is quite clear. Donglong always belonged to China and always under China's effective jurisdiction. There is no dispute in this regard."

Lu made these comments in response to reports that it was building a huge military complex close to the site of the Doklam standoff.

Indian and Chinese troops were engaged in a stand-off for over two months last year in the Doklam area near Sikkim before "disengaging" on August 28.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp