RTI activist who exposed several scams shot dead in Bihar’s East Champaran district

Police said bike-borne assailants pumped three bullets into him from close range near Math Banwari Chowk under Piprakothi police station.

Published: 19th June 2018 09:34 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th June 2018 09:34 PM   |  A+A-

gun, weapon, murder, shooting, vedi vekkunna padam

Image for representational purpose only

Express News Service

PATNA: A Right to Information (RTI activist) who had exposed a number of scams in various government schemes in northern Bihar was shot dead by unidentified assailants in East Champaran district on Tuesday.

Rajendra Singh, who had survived at least three lethal attacks in the past few years, was attacked when he was returning home on his bike after meeting his lawyers at the court in Motihari. Police said bike-borne assailants pumped three bullets into him from close range near Math Banwari Chowk under Piprakothi police station.

“Some locals saw him lying in a pool of blood on the road. He was rushed to Motihari Sadar Hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead,” said Abhishek Ranjan, SHO of Piprakothi police station.

This is the second murder of an RTI activist in Bihar in the past two months. Jayant Kumar, an RTI activist in Vaishali district, was shot dead on April 4. He had reportedly earned the displeasure of several government officials in Vaishali and Muzaffarpur districts by seeking information about various projects.

Rajendra Singh was a well-known figure in East Champaran district as he had unearthed irregularities in the functioning of the local LIC office, discrepancies in the recruitment of teachers and policemen, and the misuse of government funds in the construction of toilets and houses under Indira Awas Yojna (IAY). FIRs were lodged in some of these cases based on his investigation and the replies he had got through the RTI route.

“He (Singh) had survived an attack on him by an unknown man on a road last year. A jeep had hit him mysteriously in 2015, and he was attacked at his home in 2012,” said his son-in-law RK Singh. Although he had sought security after these attacks, the authorities had ignored his applications, he added.

Two mobile phones belonging to Rajendra Singh were found by police at the spot where he was shot. “He had spoken to someone a few minutes before being shot at. An investigation is on, and we are looking at all angles,” said DSP (Sadar) Murli Manohar Manjhi.

Follow The New Indian Express channel on WhatsApp


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp