39 Indians killed in Iraq: Sushma Swaraj denies harassment of lone survivor from Iraq Harjit Masih

External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj has dismissed the allegations that the lone survivor, Harjit Masih, who escaped from Iraq's Mosul, was harassed and kept in a protective custody.

Published: 20th March 2018 05:51 PM  |   Last Updated: 20th March 2018 05:53 PM   |  A+A-

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj addresses a press conference over the death of 39 Indians who were killed in Iraq in New Delhi on Tuesday. | PTI

By ANI

NEW DELHI: External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj has dismissed the allegations that the lone survivor, Harjit Masih, who escaped from Iraq's Mosul, was harassed and kept in a protective custody.

While addressing the media on the issue of 39 Indians killed in Mosul, Swaraj on Tuesday said, "It is baseless that Harjit Masih was harassed, he was kept in protective custody. I had said this in Parliament earlier."

The EAM earlier confirmed that all the 39 Indians, who went missing in Mosul in the year 2014, were killed by the Islamic State (IS).

Swaraj further said, "Masih is just an individual, he could claim 39 others are dead; but we are the Government, we cannot say this so easily. We have to be responsible."

READ: Did not keep anyone in dark, it was not falsehood but tireless effort, says Sushma Swaraj; slams Congress for disrupting Lok Sabha

Masih had escaped with a group of Bangladesh colleagues under the assumed name of "Ali" and was found by Indian officials at Erbil.

The EAM also said that Minister of State (MoS) External Affairs General V.K. Singh will go to Mosul in Iraq to bring back the mortal remains of the 39 Indian nationals killed there.

Swaraj explained that the plane carrying the mortal remains will first go to Amritsar, then to Patna and Kolkata.

ALSO READ: Unpardonable that kin of Indians killed in Iraq learnt about it from TV, says Omar Abdullah

When she was asked whether the government will give compensations to the families of those killed in Mosul, Swaraj said, "It is premature to answer this question. We have to talk to the state governments also," adding, "Let us hand over the bodies first."

In July last year, Swaraj had firmly said in the Parliament that she would not declare the 39 Indians dead without concrete proof or evidence.

Earlier, India had asked Iraq for help in locating the missing Indians after Iraqi forces recaptured Mosul from IS.

The 39 persons, most of whom hailed from Punjab, were working on projects near Mosul when they were kidnapped during their evacuation.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp