JAIPUR: The Gurjar agitation is spreading in other parts of Rajasthan and the agitators are becoming increasingly violent. On the third day of their protests, the Gurjars blocked the Agra-Mumbai National Highway 3 in Dholpur.
Long queues of vehicles were stuck in the jam on the National Highway. Additional District Collector and Additional Superintendent of Police reached the spot. But when the police tried to stir the crowd away, the protestors threw stones at them.
Police had to resort to tear gas to clear the highway again. There were also reports of air-firing to disperse the crowd but Gurjars burnt three cars displaying their anger.
After the incident, District Collector, Neha Giri, reached the spot and the police were able to control the chaos. Police patrolling has increased at selected spots.
There have been reports of six policemen being injured. CM Ashok Gehlot appealed to the Gurjar community to maintain peace and said that Kirori Singh Bainsla has already said that the movement will take place peacefully.
He added that action will be taken against those found guilty. "There are certain anti-social elements involved in the incident in Dholpur. The administration will look into who all are involved. When Colonel Bainsla has talked about a peaceful protest, then his supporters must listen to him. This creating tension and arson is not right", Gehlot exclaimed.
"The Government is ready for talks with the Gurjar community. We hope that Colonel Bainsla and his team will soon be ready for a resolution with us. We respect their sentiment but sitting on railway tracks and resorting to violence is not right. We have already made a committee to holding talks, then they should come and discuss with the Government", Gehlot added.
The Gurjar reservation committee said that the police is provoking the agitators and do not let them agitate peacefully. They said that the police should not tease them, otherwise the situation could worsen.
Gurjar leader Kirori Singh Bainsla repeated on Sunday that the talk with the government will be held only on the railway track.
"Small incidents keep happening in such movements but we will hold the protests peacefully. But we will not make any committee to talk to the Government, they have to come here and talk to us. We had given the Government 20 days, but they did not listen to us and now we will end this only when we get 5 per cent reservation", Bainsla added.
Meanwhile, the Tourism Minister, Vishwendra Singh said that the matter will be resolved soon. On Friday, Vishwendra had represented the Government for talks with Colonel Bainsla, but he Gurjars reservation committee has rejected the proposal.
Gurjar society demands that the government complete all the procedures and give them five per cent reservation along with the backlog. Earlier on September 24, 2015, the SBC Bill was passed in the Assembly.
The State Government issued the notification on 16 October 2015 and implemented it. It lasted 14 months and was ended by the High Court on December 9, 2016. Now the case is going on in the Supreme Court.