Physical health: The real terror for CRPF personnel in line of duty

The other reason that adds to the job stress are a string of ambiguous intelligence inputs that always forces the jawan to be on guard leading to mental saturation. 

Published: 19th February 2019 02:16 AM  |   Last Updated: 19th February 2019 09:50 AM   |  A+A-

Image of CRPF Jawans used for representatonal purpose only. (Photo| PTI)

Express News Service

NEW DELHI: The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is a unit that is continuously in the line of fire and this factor is taking a mental and physical toll on its force. In the last three years, the CRPF has lost over a 100 jawans to suicides, and 123 have been killed in the line of duty.  

While the nation’s focus is on the attack that martyred 44 CRPF personnel in Pulwama, the statistics are alarming, and current DG Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar has been working on finding a solution to tackle this. 

The CRPF is entrusted with leading the internal security duty. It is committed in the Counter Insurgency, Counter Terrorism, Left Wing Extremism (LWE). The poll duties, VIP protection, riot control are other additional duties. 

An officer posted in Kashmir said, “The entire force of about 300,000 personnel remains on duty throughout. 35 battalions are committed in the Northeast states, about 70 are in J&K and around 80 are in LWE operations.”  

The pressure of the job and the family takes its toll on the mental health of the jawans. “The force does not have the capacity to provide accommodation to the families and this adds to the stress,” said a CRPF officer.   

While 85% of the force is operationally committed, the other 15% is deployed at places like Ayodhya, Kashi Viswanath, Parliament Duty, VIP duty, which demand administrative and other operational commitments.

The other reason that adds to the job stress is a string of ambiguous intelligence inputs that always forces the jawan to be on guard leading to mental saturation. 

The Minister of State (Home) Kiren Rijiju in March 2018 says that since 2015 till January 2018, 8,725 personnel of CRPF took voluntary retirement and 1,895 resigned from the force. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp