The Union Cabinet has approved 10 per cent reservation in jobs and educational institutions for the economically backward section in the general category.
The people who belong to this category can now avail reservations for jobs and admission in higher educational institutions.
The government is likely to bring a constitutional amendment bill in Parliament on Tuesday.
Who are eligible for the reservations?
- The people who earn less than Rs 8 lakh per annum
- People who have arable land below five acres
- People from families who have a house below 1000 sq ft
- Those who have plot below 100 yards in a notified municipality
- Those who have residential plot below 200 yards in a non-notified municipality area