Will appeal to SC for guidelines to ensure delay tactics are not repeated: Nirbhaya's mother

The four convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case were hanged to death at 5:30 a.m. in Delhi's Tihar jail today.

Published: 20th March 2020 07:34 AM  |   Last Updated: 20th March 2020 07:34 AM   |  A+A-

Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi

Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi (Photo| Parveen Negi, EPS)


NEW DELHI: Soon after all the four death row convicts in the 2012 Delhi gang-rape case were hanged to death at Tihar Jail here early Friday, Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi said she will appeal to Supreme Court to issue guidelines to ensure that in future, nobody adopts delaying tactics employed in her daughter's case.

"There is a hearing on March 23. We will appeal to the Supreme Court to lay down guidelines so that the delay tactics used in Nirbhaya's case are not repeated in other cases. The process of availing legal remedies by death row convicts should be time bound," Asha Devi told media persons here.

"In cases of more than one convict, they should be allowed to only file their curative petition and mercy pleas etc together and not separately," she added.

Asked whether she is planning to celebrate, Asha Devi said, "We have not thought anything like this."

She added, "Today, I can say that I am proud of my daughter because of her people know me as Nirbhaya's mother. If she would have been here today, then I would have been known as a doctor's mother, but now I am known as Nirbhaya's mother... My dharma as a mother has been fulfilled today."

The four convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case were hanged to death at 5:30 a.m. in Delhi's Tihar jail today.

The hanging was carried out as per schedule after a three-judge Supreme Court bench rejected the final plea by the convicts' lawyer AP Singh to stay their execution in a late-night hearing.

The four convicts, along with two others including Ram Singh and a juvenile, had raped and brutally tortured a 23-year-old paramedic student on a moving bus in south Delhi on the night of December 16, 2012. The victim died a few days later after battling for life at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital and later at a Singapore hospital.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp