STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

A fruit that has all nutrients you need

Avocado is a green, pear-shaped, unique and delicious fruit. It has become an incredibly popular food among health conscious individuals.

Published: 07th June 2018 04:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th June 2018 11:55 PM   |  A+A-

Avocado is a green, pear-shaped, unique and delicious fruit. It has become an incredibly popular food among health conscious individuals. Often referred to as a superfood, it is rich in nutrients which include vitamin K, folate, antioxidants, fibre, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin and healthy fats. Get your healthy dose of Avocado every day and reap all of its benefits.

Avocados are loaded with fibre

Avocados are high in good fat and fibre, so that they can help you feel full for longer. Thus it helps in weight loss. Hence, it is called as a fat burner food. Soluble fibre is known to be able to feed the friendly gut bacteria in the intestine, which are important for the optimal functions of our body. About 25 per cent of fibre present is soluble, and the rest 75 per cent is insoluble.

Has monounsaturated fat

Avocados contain mostly monounsaturated fat, a small amount of saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat. Most of the monounsaturated fat is oleic acid. This type of fat is considered to be healthy. The oleic acids present in the avocados decrease the inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease and increase the insulin sensitivity.

Lowers cholesterol

A review of 10 studies found that the avocado diet decrease ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol by 22 per cent and total cholesterol by 8 per cent. It was the only diet to decrease the number of LDL particles. Reduce total blood triglycerides by up to 20 per cent. It can therefore, reduce the risk of heart disease.

Contains potassium

Potassium is an important mineral that most people don’t get enough of. The high potassium present in the avocados is linked to reduce the risk of blood pressure, heart attacks, stroke and kidney failure. This nutrient helps maintain electrical gradients in the body cells and serves various important functions. Avocados contain high amount potassium greater than bananas have.

Keeps you healthy

One study that looked at the dietary habits and health of the people who eat avocados, found that they are much healthier than people who do not eat avocados. They have a much higher nutrient intake. People who ate avocados regularly also slowed weight loss, had a lower BMI and significantly less belly fat. They also had more HDL cholesterol.

Protects the eye

Avocados not only increase the antioxidant absorption from other foods, they are also high in antioxidant themselves. This includes nutrients called lutein and zeaxanthin which are incredibly important for eye health. Studies show that these nutrients are linked to drastically reduced risk of cataracts and macular degeneration, which are common for the elderly.

Divya Purushotham

Face Book sanonutritionclinic

The writer is founder and chief nutritionist at Sano Holistic Nutrition Clinic



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp