The suspended Indian Boxing Federation has infuriated the International Boxing Association (AIBA) yet again and it is the pugilists who are paying the price for their refusal to act according to the world body's diktat.
The AIBA is livid with the IBF for giving out details of the Indian boxers' international schedule even before getting the world body's clearance. The result is the cancellation of a training-cum competition tour of Cuba from May 27 to June 17 where 20 boxers were scheduled to go.
"India was expected to take part in Cardova Cardin, a training-cum-competition program at Havana, Cuba from May 27 – June 17, 2013; however the team would not be travelling to Cuba as the tour has not been sanctioned by AIBA," the IBF said in a statement.
What the statement did not reveal was the reason for AIBA's refusal given that the world body has so far not barred the boxers from competing in international events. Even today, a 10-member team left for Cyprus for an international tournament. Yesterday, another 10-member squad went to Russia for an international tournament. "They (IBF) have been giving details of the planned schedule even before AIBA gives its nod. AIBA is now angry with the IBF for doing this because a suspended body cannot make claims about future tours without getting the world body's nod," a source told PTI.
"They have told IBF that this would cause problems for the boxers. AIBA will not let Indian boxers go for international events if this continues," he added.