STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Allardyce decries entrapment as England job ends in disgrace

Sam Allardyce flew out of England on Wednesday after expressing regret over \"silly\" unguarded comments.

Published: 28th September 2016 05:22 PM  |   Last Updated: 28th September 2016 05:22 PM   |  A+A-

Allardyce-AP

Former England soccer team manager Sam Allardyce leaves his home in Bolton, England Wednesday Sept. 28, 2016. | AP

By AP

MANCHESTER: Sam Allardyce flew out of England on Wednesday after expressing regret over "silly" unguarded comments to undercover journalists that cost him the England manager's job.

While apologizing for his indiscretions, Allardyce complained about "entrapment" by the Daily Telegraph that made his England job untenable after only 67 days and one match in charge.

A covert video showed Allardyce appearing to offer advice to fictitious businessmen on how to sidestep an outlawed player transfer practice and also to negotiate a 400,000-pound ($519,000) public-speaking contract to top up an annual England salary of 3 million pounds ($4 million).

A further video showed Allardyce mocking predecessor Roy Hodgson, who was fired after England's humiliating loss to tiny Iceland at the European Championship in June, questioning the FA's financial strategy, and talking dismissively about the organization's president, Prince William.

The 61-year-old Allardyce was filmed in a London hotel in August and a Manchester restaurant talking to the undercover reporters.

Scandal leaves English game at rock bottom

Five facts on Sam Allardyce

Allardyce leaves England job by mutual consent

Football Association to probe England manager Sam Allardyce 'exposed' in Daily Telegraph sting  

"On reflection it was a silly thing to do, but just to let everyone know I'd sort of helped out what was somebody I'd known for 30 years," Allardyce said, referring to football agent Scott McGarvey. "Unfortunately, it was an error of judgment on my behalf and I've paid the consequences.

"Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that. The agreement was done very amicably with the FA. I apologize to those and all concerned in this unfortunate situation I've put myself in."

Allardyce never even got a chance to manage England at the national stadium, Wembley, with his only game in charge a World Cup qualifying win in Slovakia earlier this month.

Speaking outside his home near the northern English city of Manchester, the former West Ham, Sunderland and Bolton manager said: "I am off abroad, just to chill out and reflect."

England is not rushing to replace Allardyce.

Gareth Southgate, the manager of England Under-21e, will take charge of the senior team's next four matches — against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland, and Spain — across October and November. That means there is less urgency for the FA to hire a new manager with the following game not until March 2017 when England hosts Lithuania in its fifth World Cup qualifier.

Stay up to date on all the latest Sport news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp