STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Middlesex pacer Roland-Jones to make England Test debut at Oval against South Africa

Roland-Jones will make his England Test debut against South Africa after Mark Wood was ruled out with an injury.

Published: 26th July 2017 10:50 PM  |   Last Updated: 27th July 2017 08:23 AM   |  A+A-

England's Keaton Jennings, (L), Alastair Cook (C) and Toby Roland-Jones (R) look on during a practice session. | AFP

By PTI

LONDON: Middlesex paceman Toby Roland-Jones will make his England Test debut against South Africa tomorrow after Mark Wood was ruled out with an injury.

Durham fast bowler Wood missed today's final training session for the third Test with an ongoing heel problem that had troubled him in England's 340-run defeat by South Africa in the second Test, a result that saw the Proteas level the four-match series at 1-1.

"Wood is not 100 percent fit so he's going to miss out this week and Toby Roland-Jones comes in for a debut," England captain Joe Root told a press conference on Wednesday ahead of the clash at The Oval.

Roland-Jones's Middlesex colleague Steven Finn, a veteran of 36 Tests, has been called up as stand by in the event of any further injuries to England's pace attack.

The 29-year-old Roland-Jones has twice been included in Test squads for matches at his Lord's home ground but will now make his debut in the five-day game on the other side of London's River Thames at Surrey's headquarters.

He did, however, make his one-day international debut against South Africa at Lord's in May, taking one for 34 in a match England lost by seven wickets. He played a key role in helping Middlesex win last season's County Championship and his Test call is a reward for several years of consistent performance in the English first-class game.

"Toby has been, in the lead up to the other games, really good in practice and he has obviously had a fine couple of years and it is a very exciting time, as it is for anyone who makes their Test debut," Root said Wednesday. "I'm really excited for him and I'm sure he's desperate to show everyone what he can do with the red ball for England."

Wood's career has been blighted by injuries, with a succession of ankle problems restricting the 27-year-old to just 10 Tests since his debut against New Zealand in 2015.

Root, however, was confident the worst was behind Wood amid fears the bowler may be excessively injury-prone. "I don't think it's a concern, it is the nature of how he throws himself into his work," the Yorkshireman explained.

"I think he is learning about his body all the time and I can't see him missing out too much longer," Root added.

England will now field at least two debutants in what will be the 100th Test ever staged at The Oval, with Essex batsman Tom Westley previously selected in place of injured number three Gary Ballance.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp