CHENNAI: Chennai Super Kings’ association with MS Dhoni is most likely to continue in 2018 as the IPL governing council has proposed a retention policy that would allow the two-time champions and Rajasthan Royals to pick players who were part of Rising Pune Supergiant and Gujarat Lions, in the upcoming player auction.
Chennai and Rajasthan, who are returning to the official fold after serving a two-year ban, had earlier written to council chairman Rajeev Shukla, demanding either a retention policy or a draft system that was used when Gujarat and Pune were included in place of the two teams in 2016.
Though the draft system was originally considered, it is understood that during a meeting in New Delhi on Tuesday, the council decided to float an alternative retention policy for the two teams, where they would get to retain two Indian players and one foreigner with the highest-paid franchise (CSK in this case) getting to choose the player first. “Since it is going to be a mega auction, this will allow the two franchises to have continuity. This is the proposal we will place before them (franchises) in the owners’ workshop in the first week of November,” a council member told Express.
However, it is not clear whether the teams would accept this proposal, as the other six teams are keen on retaining at least four-five players or having the right to refusal card that was added to the auction. “If other teams can retain five players and we are given only three, it won’t create a level playing field. We don’t want such a scenario. We will also ask for the retention policy as these players were originally part of the teams before the ban,” a CSK official said.
Dravid bats for bat restrictions
Rahul Dravid impressed that the ICC’s new Code of Laws related to the thickness of bats to be restricted will have an impact. “Though the change isn’t very drastic as only few players use bats which do not come under new rules. It is a good decision.”