Tianjin Quanjin shoot down Diego Costa swoop rumours

Tianjin issued a statement saying they have had no communications or negotiations in any form with Diego Costa.

Published: 24th May 2017 01:21 PM  |   Last Updated: 24th May 2017 01:21 PM   |  A+A-

Chelsea striker Diego Costa (File | AP)

By AFP

SHANGHAI: China's Tianjin Quanjin appear to have shut the door on a rumoured megamoney swoop for Chelsea's Diego Costa or any other "excessive" spending, amid a government crackdown on high-priced foreign imports.

The Brazilian-born Spain striker has since January been the subject of repeated speculation that he could join Super League club Tianjin when China's summer transfer window opens next month and become the latest in a wave of big-money foreign signings.

Tianjin issued a statement saying they have "had no communications or negotiations in any form with Diego Costa or his agent team regarding a transfer."

Echoing the official talking points of China's spending crackdown, the statement said the club would base any future transfers on the "sustainable development" of the Chinese Super League.

"(We) will not engage in any sort of unhealthy competition and will put a stop to any excessive pricing," said the statement, issued Tuesday.

Various reports have speculated in recent months that a deal was brewing to pay Chelsea's Costa tens of millions of dollars per year.

Coached by Italy's World Cup champion Fabio Cannavaro, Tianjin have foreign talent to challenge for the Super League title but have so far failed to strike any mega-deals.

Armed with a considerable war chest, they have tried to land Borussia Dortmund's highly-rated striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Manchester United icon Wayne Rooney.

They have also been linked to a 60-million-euro bid for Monaco's Colombian striker Radamel Falcao and a 50-million-euro approach for France's Anthony Modeste, who plays for Germany's FC Cologne.

Instead Tianjin ended up with players such as Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel for 20 million euros and out-of-favour former Brazilian boy wonder Pato for 18 million euros.

President Xi Jinping has expressed hope of China hosting and eventually winning a World Cup, a big ask for a national side now ranked just 81 in the world.

The country's top companies and richest entrepreneurs have responded by rushing to buy stakes in overseas clubs and import foreign players in a series of record-breaking transfers, including Chelsea midfielder Oscar's Asian-record, 60-million-euro move to Shanghai SIPG this season.

But the flood of cash prompted a backlash from authorities worried about larger issues of irresponsible spending in China's economy as growth slows, and the government this season placed new restrictions on club spending and reduced the number of foreign players they can have in their squads.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp