CHENNAI: When the Boxing Federation of India (BFI) disciplinary committee begins its proceedings on May 20, Vikas Krishan is likely to get the benefit of the doubt for his ‘mystery’ move in the recent Asian Championships in Tashkent.
One of the seven boxers to have secured a ticket to the World Championships, Vikas forfeited his semifinal against fourth-seeded Korean Dongyun Lee, a decision which created a stir.
Vikas is yet to speak out on the motive behind his decision.
But sources claimed Vikas had received assurance from someone in the federation, who had apparently told him that skipping the bout wouldn’t lead to serious sanction. If the committee’s inquiry corroborates this version and it is found to be true, the BFI may have to take action against the player and the other person concerned. But Vikas might be let off with a firm warning.
In fact, sources said that they are planning to send him abroad for training ahead of key tournaments in future.
There are whispers in the boxing fraternity that Vikas skipped the semifinal because he wanted to be in shape for World Series Boxing, a semi-professional event, approved by the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA).
“Vikas could have pulled out citing fitness problems, but he didn’t do that. Those in the team have confirmed he had no medical issues. Why he decided against fighting despite that is what the disciplinary committee has to find out. If it’s due to the World Series, he should be facing action,” a source said.
The two-time Olympian was one of the three Indian boxers roped in by the Britain-based franchise British Lionhearts, along with Manoj Kumar and K Shyam Kumar last month, for WSB.
Had things gone per plans, Vikas would have been engaged with the Lionhearts, who are due to face France Fighting Roosters in the quarterfinals in London on May 20. The Asian Boxing Championship got over on May 7.
Soon after returning to India on May 9, the boxing team met BFI president Ajay Singh in New Delhi. It was announced then that Vikas would not be allowed to compete in the WSB until he gives valid explanations.
Vikas has explained his side to Singh and has to do that again before the BFI disciplinary committee constituted to hear the case. This committee will also speak to the manager and coaches of the team, medical personnel and federation officials. Everything will be done with legal advice and possibly, in the presence of a lawyer.
One of the top boxers in the country, Vikas will be hoping to clear the case and focus on boxing ahead of bigger bouts.
Nearly 1000 boxers, including coaches and delegates, are expected to flock to Guwahati during the Women’s Youth World Championships to be held in November this year. The world body (AIBA) has already inspected arrangements, including venue and logistics, and they were happy with what they saw. Competition dates are yet to be finalised.