STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Formula One Miami Grand Prix pushed back to 2020: Sources

Formula One has long sought a second race in the United States but all attempts have so far ended in failure.

Published: 22nd July 2018 07:36 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd July 2018 07:36 PM   |  A+A-

Formula One

Formula One's commercial rights holders Liberty Media are keen to expand in the United States. (File photo | AP)

By Reuters

HOCKENHEIM: Formula One has given up on the possibility of having a grand prix in Miami next year and the focus is now on 2020, sources close to the matter told Reuters on Sunday.

The Florida city last week delayed a decision on hosting a race until September due to emerging local opposition.

A discussion on a race contract had originally been scheduled for next Thursday.

"The likely scenario now is that the race will take place in 2020," one source said.

Others confirmed 2019 was no longer considered an option and official confirmation was expected soon.

Formula One's commercial rights holders Liberty Media are keen to expand in the United States, whose only race at present is at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

That US Grand Prix circuit is the only purpose-built permanent F1 track in the country and Miami would be a street circuit taking in the harbourside and downtown.

The Miami Herald newspaper reported last week that many downtown and Port Miami residents had expressed concerns about the proposal and potential road closures, noise and traffic problems.

Formula One has long sought a second race in the United States but previous attempts have ended in failure.

Liberty want to make sure Miami, which has been offered a 10-year contract, has long-term viability with the maximum local support.

That meant not rushing through the proposal just for the sake of putting a flag on the map.

"It needs to be done properly, past mistakes cannot be repeated," a source said at the German Grand Prix.

A proposed 2013 New Jersey race was unveiled in 2011 but then pushed back to 2014 because organisers needed more time to prepare.

It was included on the provisional 2014 calendar but the plan was ultimately abandoned for financial reasons.

A draft 2019 calendar has yet to be published by Formula One but Miami, pencilled in for October, would have been the big new draw.

Another source said the absence of Miami could lead to renewed efforts to strike a deal for a German Grand Prix, which is out of contract at Hockenheim after Sunday's race.

A fan festival is already scheduled for Miami this year, in the same week as the Oct. 21 race in Austin, and that will still go ahead.

The south Florida city has never before hosted a Formula One championship grand prix, although it has hosted a round of the all-electric Formula E series.

Stay up to date on all the latest Sport news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp