STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Australian Open dates expected within two weeks

Chief executive Craig Tiley was responding on Sunday to unsourced reports the season-opening grand slam event might be pushed back until February, March or even later.

Published: 22nd November 2020 01:04 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd November 2020 01:04 PM   |  A+A-

Nadal

Rafael Nadal. (Photo | AP)

By PTI

MELBOURNE: Tennis Australia says the dates for next year’s Australian Open in Melbourne should be known within two weeks.

Chief executive Craig Tiley was responding on Sunday to unsourced reports the season-opening grand slam event might be pushed back until February, March or even later.

The tournament is scheduled to start on Jan. 18. But questions remain over quarantine arrangements for players and their entourages — an estimated 2,500 people.

In a statement, Tiley said Tennis Australia is “doing everything we can to finalize the summer of tennis as soon as possible.”

“Our intention is to deliver a summer in conditions that allow the players to prepare and perform at their best and the fans to enjoy their efforts — all in an environment that is safe for all concerned,” he said.

Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews has said is government is working to smooth out any quarantine issues. The government's previous reluctance to allow players to arrive before Jan. 1 had been a stumbling block to confirming tournament dates.

With a requirement to complete 14 days in managed isolation, players might not have been released until days before matches began.

“We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that takes into account the needs of the players, fans, our partners and staff and is of major benefit to the Victorian and Australian economies,” Tiley said.

“We are continuing our urgent talks with local health authorities regarding quarantining and bio-security requirements and are confident we will have decisions soon.”

Tiley said TA is “acutely aware” of the need for certainty but also of reaching a solution with the state government that ensures the safety of the entire community.

“We look forward to announcing our ticket on-sale date as soon as all arrangements with the relevant authorities are finalized and we have more information on crowd sizes. We anticipate this on-sale date will be within the next two weeks,” he said.

Tiley said reports the tournament might be delayed, even as late as April, are “speculation.”

Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city, was hard-hit by COVID-19 during the winter but has now gone 23 days without a new infection.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp