VIJAYAWADA: Tension prevailed for an hour near Gunadala Railway Station in the city Sunday when an overhead equipment (OHE) wire got snapped from an electric pole and fell on Vijayawada-Kakinada Fast Passenger (57231). However, no casualties were reported as the passengers immediately got down the train after noticing fire in one of the coaches.
“The loco pilot immediately stopped the train soon after noticing the sparks and people immediately got off the train,” said Gunadala railway gateman Rajendra Prasad.
The train was halted for nearly an hour and the passengers did not board it until the wire was fixed. “My cousins were travelling by the train when the incident happened. They were horrified when they saw fire,” said Md Hussain, a resident of Gunadala. The railway officials fixed the faulty OHE wire of pole number 433/1 near Vambay Colony. “We have replaced the insulator and OHE wire, and facilitated the train to catch its schedule.
Some miscreants from the Vambay Colony have thrown stones at the poles earlier. The wire broke due to the tension when the train passed the pole,” explained a railway official, who was inspecting the line after the incident, along with railway protection force.
Sr PRO of Vijayawada division, FR Michael, however, said that it was an unforeseen incident and added that the restoration was done in 25 minutes. “We immediately acted and restored the wire. No casualties have been reported. Two other trains including Ratnachal Express and Howrah Mail were delayed because of the incident.”