GUNTUR: Around 100 huts were gutted in a major fire at Jangala Colony in Nagaram mandal headquarter of the district on Sunday. However, there were no casualties, even as the property loss is estimated at `1 crore.
The fire broke out when a gas cylinder exploded in one of the huts in the colony. The women residents, who were doing household chores outside, ran to safety when the hut caught fire due to the blast. However, the fire spread rapidly and engulfed dozens of huts in the vicinity within minutes.
By the time fire tenders had rushed to the spot from Repalle, Bapatla and Ponnur, 100 huts were completely engulfed in fire. It took four hours for the fire personnel to bring the flames under control and prevent from spreading to the other houses in the ST Colony where there were some 200 houses.
According to police, around 400 people were left homeless in the mishap and had been provided with temporary accommodation in the nearby school. The revenue department provided Rs 5,000 in cash, 20 kg rice and four blankets to each family. A case has been registered and investigation is on.
Though fire service personnel and the cops joined hands in putting off the fire, locals who lost everything had complained that the officials did not responded in time, causing severe losses.