SRIKAKULAM:Nearly 65 girl students of the Mahatma Jyotirao Phule girls welfare residential school in Tekkali of Srikakulam district were hospitalised due to suspected food poisoning Saturday night. About 10 students whose condition was said to have been critical were shifted to RIMS in Srikakulam Sunday for better treatment.
About 500 students are studying at the residential school in Tekkali. On Saturday, students had chickpea (chana), brinjal curry and sambar for dinner, following which many of them complained of vomiting and diarrhoea. The condition of 67 girls turned worse and they were rushed to Tekkali hospital after midnight. The remaining are undergoing treatment at the hostel.
Following directions from the district collector, about 10 students whose condition turned critical were rushed to RIMS in Srikakulam Sunday morning.
Minister K Atchennaidu and district collector Lakshmi Nrusimham who visited the government hospital inquired a probe into the incident. They also directed the doctors to provide the best possible treatment for the students and shift them to RIMS if necessary.
The district collector asked the authorities to inspect the hostel and find the reasons that led to the incident. He wanted the authorities to ensure that the hostel is hygienic and has improved sanitation. He said that action will be initiated if there was a human error.