TIRUPATI: A five-member fact-finding team of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) spent more than two hours in the Seshachalam forest on Tuesday morning gathering evidences from the two encounter sites where 20 red sanders woodcutters from Tamil Nadu were gunned down last month.
After gathering information from the forest staff and local police from Chandragiri, who accompanied them into the forest, the NHRC members also enquired with the local mediapersons covering their visit and even sought the photographs taken by them while covering the encounter incident on April 7.
However, no top official, either from the police or the forest department went along with the team. According to sources, the officials have kept themselves away citing the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe under the supervision of the High Court and the High Court directive that they are not allowed to share any information with other agencies except the SIT.
The team entered the forest around 6 am and returned around 8.30 am after inspecting both the encounter locations - Cheekateegala Kona and Sachinodi Banda - falling under the limits of Chandragiri mandal in the Seshachalam forest.
Briefing newsmen later, a team member, Pupul Dutta, said they inspected both the spots of encounter. “We will meet the officials from the police, forest, task force and revenue departments and also talk to the personnel who had participated in the alleged encounter to know their version over the incident. Later, we will submit our report to the NHRC,” he said.