SRIKAKULAM: Around 60 houses caught fire allegedly due to short-circuit in one of the houses on the outskirts of Murapaka village in Laveru mandal of the district Tuesday morning. While one person was injured in the incident, the property loss was estimated at around `50 lakh.
According to sources, fire erupted due to a short-circuit in one of the houses at Murapaka village where a large number of daily labourers were residing. Meanwhile, gusty winds fanned the flames and the surrounding houses, including thatched huts and houses with asbestos roofs, caught fire within minutes. As the daily labourers went out on work and their children were playing in a nearby ground, a few people were present in the houses at the time of the incident. Upon noticing the fire, they all ran for safety and alerted the fire services. However, one person sustained minor burns.
Two fire engines were immediately pressed into service and the fire was brought under control after some time. SP AS Khan and Laveru revenue officials rushed to the spot and estimated the property loss at around `50 lakh. Srikakulam RDO Dayanidhi assured to extend necessary help to the victims.