HYDERABAD: The Ranga Reddy District Consumer Forum here has directed the organiser of an unlicensed swimming pool to pay Rs 4.5 lakh as compensation to a senior citizen for causing untimely death of his son due to his sheer ‘negligence’ and ‘deficiency of service’.
T Srikanth, along with two of his friends, went to Ocean Swimming Pool on April 25, 2007 for a swim but drowned. His friends immediately informed the pool employees that Srikanth was drowning but the employees did not act to rescue him.
Srikanth’s father T Krishna alleged that the staff did not take proper care and his son died because of their negligence.
Police conducted ‘panchanama’ at the swimming pool, recorded statements and prepared an inquest report. The post mortem was conducted by Osmania Medical College.
Alleging negligence and deficiency of service, Krishna approached the forum and filed a complaint against G Vijaya, proprietor, and K Venkata Krishna Reddy, organiser, of the pool for relief.
In her written submission, the pool owner denied the allegations and claimed that she was in no way connected with the running of the pool and the FIR did not mention her name. As no prima facie case was made out, it was prayed that the complaint may be dismissed.
Pool organiser Krishna Reddy did not attend hearing in spite of a newspaper notice.
During trial the bench observed that the organiser, who happened to be the leaseholder and who undertook the responsibility for all risks including loss of life at the swimming pool, was negligent in providing proper security to persons who came for swimming.
It also came to light that no licence was issued by GHMC to Ocean Swimming Pool for 2007-2008.
“As a matter of policy, learners should not be allowed into the pool without proper care. They have to be provided life jackets and there should be a lifeguard or a coach who can attend immediately in the event of any untoward incident. Venkata Krishna Reddy failed to take such care at the time of Srikanth’s death. Oxygen or resuscitation equipment was not in place. This was negligence,” the forum said.