STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Live Wire Kills Ganesh Devotee, Labourer

Youth, an active organiser of Ganesh Pandal, was removing flex boards when he touched a live cable thinking that power was off

Published: 26th September 2015 05:29 AM  |   Last Updated: 26th September 2015 05:29 AM   |  A+A-

VISAKHAPATNAM/SRIKAKULAM:  In a tragic incident, a youngster was electrocuted when he came in contact with a live wire at a Ganesh pandal at Drivers Colony of Pedagantyada in Gajuwaka police station limits Friday evening. The deceased has been identified as PV Sai Kumar (19), a resident of the colony and a degree second year student in the Shipyard Degree College.

According to Gajuwaka inspector M Apparao, Sai Kumar was an active organiser of the Ganesh pandal in the Colony. After heavy rain lashed the area for almost two hours, the organisers started clearing the pandal area of the flexis and other waste. Power supply was also cut off from 3 pm to 5 pm as a precautionary measure. “The organisers were clearing the flexis when all of a sudden power supply was restored and thinking that electricity was still off, Sai touched a live wire and was electrocuted,” said the inspector. The locals took Sai to the nearest hospital but he died while undergoing treatment.

Police also said that they had inspected the place recently and found that everything was alright.

But due to the heavy rain Friday afternoon and earlier in the morning, the organisers had to make way for a milk van by disturbing poles, wires and flexis, leading to the incident.

“If the organisers had switched off the main line before cleaning the premises, the tragedy would not have happened,” the inspector added.

In a separate incident, daily labourer T Asirayya (40) was electrocuted when he came in contact with a live wire in fields at the back side of the his house at Bukkuru village of Palakonda mandal in Srikakulam district.

According to sources, Asirayya climbed a tree to pluck drum-sticks when he got in contact with a live wire of LT electrical connectivity line and was electrocuted.

Asirayya died on the spot and the locals who noticed him intimated the police. The Palakonda police have registered a case.

Stay up to date on all the latest Andhra Pradesh news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp