VIJAYAWADA: A major fire mishap occurred at Sentini Hospital in Vijayawada on Tuesday. Smoke billowed out of the Central Processing Unit of a computer in the MRI Scanning Room on the first floor of the building reportedly due to short circuit. Thankfully, there is no casualty.
There was a tense atmosphere as smoke spread all over the hospital and as many as 51 patients had to be evacuated to nearby Ayush and Ramesh hospitals. There were about 170 persons inside the hospital at the time of the incident.
The fire detection equipment sounded alarm immediately. The smoke spread quickly through all air conditioners and resulted in the burning of the ceiling. On being alerted, three fire tenders reached the spot and broke the glass panes of the hospital to provide ventilation. The fire service officials said there was only one fire exit, due to which evacuation became difficult.
According to Assistant Commissioner of Police N Satyanandam, hospital officials have responded fast. He said investigation showed that there was no negligence on the part of the hospital administration.
He said further investigation is still on, based on which decision would be taken as to whether a case should be registered or not against the hospital authorities.
According to fire services department Director General K Satyanarayana, hospital has necessary clearances and permissions from Fire department. Accordingly, alarm went off immediately saving lives, he said.
Health minister Kamineni Srinivas instructed district officials to submit a report on the accident.
However, Sentini Hospital chairman Seshagiri Rao refused to respond and stayed away from the media.