BELLARY (Karnataka): Central Bureau of Investigation has commenced investigations into illegal extraction and export of iron ore and has issued notices to several firms allegedly involved, CBI officials said.
"The CBI has commenced the inquiry into the illegal extraction and export of iron ore by issuing notices this week to several firms that exported iron ore," CBI officials said.
CBI has sought documentary details pertaining to extraction, transportation and export of iron ore, between April 1, 2006, and December 31, 2010, the officials said.
The firms have also been asked to depute a compliant person, conversant with the transactions to appear before the central investigating agency, they said.
The details sought include complete profiles of directors who were at the helm of affairs, between 2006 and 2010. The illegal export from Belekeri port in Uttara Kannada district had been exposed in 2011 by then Lokayukta, N Santosh Hegde, former Supreme Court Judge.
Hegde had said 7.74 million tonnes of iron ore were illegally exported between 2006-2007 and 2010-11, causing huge loss to the exchequer.