With VIPs accused, no one is probing DySP Ganapathy suicide case

Published: 05th August 2016 05:24 AM  |   Last Updated: 05th August 2016 08:24 AM   |  A+A-

BENGALURU: Almost a month has passed since the sensational suicide of DySP M K Ganapathy, and — would you believe it? — not a single investigator is working on the case.

Ganapathy killed himself after naming a minister and two IPS officers as his tormenters. The minister, K J George, has since resigned, but little has moved otherwise.

A magistrate court in Madikeri had clearly directed the police to take up the investigation, but they are too scared to do a thing.

New names may crop up in Handibag suicide case

The police have not summoned or recorded the statements of any of the three accused: George, A M Prasad and Pronab Mohanty.

The CID took up the case on July 8, a day after Ganapathy’s suicide, and began collecting evidence. But it was suddenly on a leash when the government announced a judicial probe.

Simultaneously, a magistrate ordered the Madikeri Town police to file an FIR and probe the case. With three agencies in the picture, all unsure about what to do, the case is now an orphan. 

In private, police agree without hesitation that no one wants to take up a case that antagonises such powerful people. “You have a powerful former minister and two top police officials in the dock. Do you think anyone here will have the guts to summon them?” a policeman in Madikeri said when Express wanted to know the status of the case.

Even for the record, there’s little to show. “We have collected information and evidence, and recorded the statements of Ganapathy’s family and friends,” Medappa, inspector at the Madikeri Town police station, said.

But he refused to reply when asked if the accused had been called for their statements.

With VIPs.jpgMadikeri Superintendent of Police Rajendra Prasad is on leave for eight days. Mutthuraj, Additional Superintendent of Police, Chamarajanagar, now holds additional charge of Madikeri.

A police source said, “Rajendra Prasad had applied for 10 days’ leave but was sanctioned only eight. Everybody knows this case is a headache, and is waiting for orders from DG-IGP Om Prakash on who should investigate it.”

Mutthuraj told Express, “I am in charge till Rajendra Prasad returns. But I have received no orders to take up the probe.” Prasad said he is the Investigating officer. Om Prakash was unavailable for comment.

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp