BENGALURU: Three people, including a couple, escaped with injuries in an LPG cylinder explosion at a two-storey residential building in Ejipura on Sunday.
Tension prevailed in the area for a while as rumours spread about the blast. It was only when FSL experts inspected the spot that they revealed that the explosion was due to a LPG leak. Senior officials, including the city police commissioner, also rushed to the spot.
The injured are Sushma, of West Bengal, Muddassar, a driver, and his wife Shoma Biswas. They were rushed to St. John’s Hospital, where they are recovering. A police officer said the incident occurred around 12.45pm on RR Road and the building belongs to Mathew, of Kerala. Mathew was not in the city when the incident took place.
Twelve families stay in the building. Due to the explosion, walls, windows and doors of a few houses were shattered. The explosion took place on the ground floor. A boy, who lives on the first floor, had raised an alarm and also asked the ground floor occupants to check if there was any gas leakage.
Within a few minutes of this, the cylinder exploded and the couple and Sushma were injured. Residents of the area went into a state of panic as they were unaware of the nature of the blast. City police commissioner N S Megharikh also visited the spot and assured the people that there was no need to panic, and revealed the cause of the incident.