CM Siddaramaiah directs investigation on Sait’s sleazegate episode

Karnataka’s chief minister Siddaramaiah has directed the cyber crime division to investigate the sleazegate incident related to minister for primary and secondary education Tanvir Sait.

Published: 14th November 2016 01:35 PM  |   Last Updated: 14th November 2016 01:35 PM   |  A+A-

Siddaramaiah

Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah | File Photo

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: Karnataka’s chief minister Siddaramaiah has directed the cyber crime division to investigate the sleazegate incident related to minister for primary and secondary education Tanvir Sait.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Siddaramaiah said that he had received an explanation from Tanvir Sait that he was merely scrolling down on all the messages on Whatsapp with regard to Tipu celebrations and had not committed any crime. 

Tanvir Sait was caught on television scrolling down on pornographic content on his phone, while sitting on the dais during Tipu anniversary celebrations in Raichur on November 10. The BJP and JD(S) have been demanding his resignation.

“We cannot do whatever the BJP wants. He seems to have done nothing wrong on the face of it. After his explanation, I have asked the Crime Investigation Department to investigate the matter fully,” Siddaramaiah said.

He also said that he had not directly spoken to the party high command on the incident, but that Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee president G Parameshwara had given the details to the party leaders in Delhi.

Centre’s assistance sought

In a separate development, Siddaramaiah has sought Centre’s assistance as the North east monsoons also seem to have failed in the state. So far, nearly 139 taluks have been declared as drought hit due to failure of the monsoon rains. The kharif crops have also been hit in the region. 

“The state has experienced shortage as well as excess of rains in several regions. We have sought Rs 4,656 crore for drought relief and Rs 380 crore due to floods from the Centre, in line with the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) guidelines. Our situation is pretty bad. A team from the Centre have already toured the areas to assess the situation. I am also writing to Prime Minister Modi in this regard,” he said.
 

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp