MANGALURU: A one-year-old boy of Gerukatte village in Beltangady taluk Tuesday died after he choked on chakkuli, a savory snack, while swallowing it.
The news came as a shock to the relatives and villagers, just two days after Arush’s birthday celebration.
Sources said the toddler, son of Vittala, was given a piece of chakkuli by one of the family members on Tuesday morning. Unlike previous occasions when he used to chew it, this time he tried to swallow. Sadly, the Chakkuli piece entered his airpipe leading to breathing complications.
On noticing him struggling, the family rushed him to a nearby hospital. However, the doctors at the hospital declared the toddler brought dead, sources added.
A case of natural death has been registered at Beltangady police station.