MANDYA: In a freak incident, a one-and-a-half-year-old baby died due to asphyxiation after he swallowed a pressure cooker whistle at Nagarakere village of Maddur taluk on Saturday night. The incident came to light on Sunday.
Bhuvan Gowda, son of Marilinge Gowda and Roopa, was playing in the house when he came across the whistle. By the time the parents could snatch the same, he had swallowed it.
The kid started choking on it forcing the parents to rush the baby to taluk hospital. However, efforts made to remove the same did not yield results and the kid died instantly. A case has been registered in this connection.