Congress leader K Sudhakaran MP, who dismissed as baseless the allegation relating to his involvement in the conspiracy to murder CPM leader E P Jayarajan, told reporters here on Saturday that he would be sending a fax message to the Director General of Police to seize the mobile phone being used by former municipal councillor and his driver Prasanth Babu as it carried a lot of information concerning the calls he made before he raised the allegation.
The Congress leader described the charge levelled against him as part of a badly planned ‘sting operation’ carried out by the CPM.
“CPM state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan took no time to demand an inquiry against me on the basis of the allegation raised by Prasanth Babu,” he said .
He said that he hadn’t been an accused in the case although his name figured in the FIR, and that the court who tried the case of murder-attempt on E P Jayarajan had convicted the accused in the case, Vikram Chalil Sasi and Dinesan. Vikram Chalil Sasi was killed by a group of CPM workers later and Dinesan came out of the jail after undergoing the punishment awarded to him by the Ongole court in Andhra Pradesh.
Sudhakaran said that Prasanth Babu, who was a municipal councillor wasn’t given ticket to contest for a second time as councillor following a series of corruption charges against him. I already had received 62 complaints of corruption against Prasanth Babu, said Sudhakaran, adding that the latter had been nursing a grudge against him following the denial of ticket to him. Prasant Babu was also expelled from the Congress later, he said. “He served as my driver only for 40 days in all, and he was watched by our party men as his movements had always been suspicious.” Sudhakaran further stated that he was aware of the conspiracy charge planned to be raised against him nearly three months ago.
Prasanth had approached his permanent driver Gireesh and even his gun man offering them money and other favours to support the charge, said Sudhakaran.