A van caught fire in the busy road creating panic among motorists and pedestrians at Chinnakkada on Monday. The major portion of the Maruthi Omni van got destroyed. The incident happened around 5.45 p m, when the van carrying seven passengers, including a 10-monthold baby reached the Chinnakkada round.
Other motorists noticed the fire when the van stopped at the traffic signal and raised an alarm. The family was rescued. According to the family, an LPG-kit was fitted on the car but it was running on petrol. They said that smell of petrol was coming out of the vehicle.
Raheela, 30, Anzi,30, Shaan,27, Aleema, 48, Suleekha, 45, Haseeb,30, and 10-month-old Nazria were the passengers of the van. The family from Thekkevila was returning home after shopping jewellery in the city.
The vehicle is owned by Johny of Snehalayam, Punthalathazham, who is a friend of Shaan. It took 15 minutes for the Fire and Rescue Service personnel to douse the fire completely.
Two fire tender units from Chamakkada and Kadappakkada were put to use.