STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Court rejects plea of Manoj murder accused

Published: 27th September 2012 02:25 PM  |   Last Updated: 27th September 2012 02:25 PM   |  A+A-

Kozhikode Additional District and Sessions Judge N J Jose on Wednesday rejected the petitions filed by six among the 15 accused in the Payyoli Manoj murder case, expressing their willingness to undergo narco-analysis to prove their innocence and demanding further investigation into the case.

The court observed that the request for narco-analysis could not be entertained at the current stage and adjourned the case to September 28 for further proceedings.

The Judge accepted the argument of the prosecution that the accused should have raised such a demand during the inquiry and that they had been identified by the relatives of Manoj. While additional public prosecutor E Ravindranath appeared for the prosecution, advocates Shaheer Singh, K K Beena and Abdu Rahiman were present for the accused.

The petition was filed by the first accused Ajith Kumar, CITU Autorickshaw Thozhilali Union Payyoli section secretary and DYFI town president; second accused  Jithesh, DYFI Payyoli village secretary; third accused Vadakkayil Biju, DYFI Payyoli block joint secretary and DYFI local committee member; fifth accused Nisam, eighth accused Nidheesh, and ninth accused Priyesh.

They informed the Court that they have been falsely implicated in the case and requested the Court to cancel the chargesheet.

Meanwhile, the first accused Ajith Kumar told mediapersons that they would move the High Court to prove their innocence.

“We have been arraigned as accused in the case following assurance from the party leadership that Payyoli Circle Inspector K K Vinodan, a former office-bearer of the DYFI, would protect us from the case. Party wanted to protect the vested interests of certain people. Police clearly know about the culprits,” he said.

However, investigators consider the move by the accused, who are remand prisoners for last seven months, as a tricky game aimed at dragging the case for two more months for availing a bail.

“Earlier, the High Court had directed the authorities to complete the trial proceedings of the murder case within a period of four months. So far, two months have passed, and the steps for trial have not commenced yet. By submitting petitions, they mainly want to drag the proceedings. If the trial does not happen within the stipulated time,  the accused will be granted bail,” said the officials.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp