Phone call from Pakistan revealed imam's IM links

Published: 03rd October 2013 11:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd October 2013 11:07 AM   |  A+A-

It was a few months after the first arrest of SIMI activist Muhammad Manzar Imam in 2008 Vagamon SIMI camp case in March that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) got to know of his links with the leadership of the Indian Mujahideen -- Riaz Bhatkal, Yasin Bhatkal and second-in-command Tahseen Akhtar Tehseen alias Tabrez.

A phone call made by Riaz Bhatkal from Pakistan to Yasin Bhatkal, intercepted by the NIA, revealed that Muhammad Manzar Imam was one of the top IM leaders. Earlier, Riaz had told Imam and Yasin of the arrangement made for him in Jharkhand. 

The NIA had made a move to make the Imam an approver in the Vagamon case and his statement under Section 164 of the CrPC was recorded.

Later when they came to know of his wider connections, they gave up the decision.

“It is quite clear that Imam maintained connections with Yasin and Riaz. We got evidence from the call in which Riaz mentioned about Imam to Yasin. Yasin was well aware of his arrest. He, along with Tahseen Akhtar, left for Nepal on March 3, after Imam was arrested from Ranchi on the same day. After Yasin was arrested from Nepal, he was grilled regarding the IM connection with the SIMI. On this, Yasin gave information about the Imam, who was introduced by Riaz Bhatkal. Muhammad Man zar Imam had also arranged a hideout for Yasin in Jharkhand. He had arranged hideouts for Yasin in Mumbai and Ranchi after terror strikes in 2009 and 2010,” NIA sources said.

After the arrest of Yasin, the NIA had filed a petition before the NIA Special Court, Kochi, seeking his custody for interrogation over his connection with Yasin.  But the court dismissed the petition stating that as the case was nearing the trial stage and chargesheet filed, the accused cannot be handed over in their custody. Further, Yasin Bhatkal was not included in the Vagamon case.

But the NIA arrested Imam after they produce a transit warrant from the NIA Special Court, stating that he is an accused in another case in New Delhi. He was taken to New Delhi and produced before the NIA Special Court which remanded him in police custody for 15 days.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp