THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Kerala Cabinet Wednesday decided to challenge the state High Court's order that only schools recommended by Higher Secondary Education Dirctor can be given sanction to start Plus Two courses and additional batches this year.
The government had acted only as per rule and in accordance with an earlier directive of high court for sanctioning of 'need based' batches and schools, he told reporters here after the Cabinet meeting.
Rejecting the CPI(M)-led LDF opposition charge that the court order was a blow to the UDF regime, he said the government would convince the court on the need for new batches.
"The court had passed the order as government could not substantiate through its files the need for such new batches, this we will correct," he said.
Chandy said "what is the role of a government in a democracy if the list approved by the Higher Secondary Education Director alone was sanctioned".
He also disapproved with the court notice to the Cabinet sub-committee which recommended additional schools and batches and said "I am responsible for it and not the committee".
The Cabinet also decided to continue the admission in schools and batches which had not been affected by the court ruling.
Justice P R Ramachandra Menon gave the interim direction on August 19 while admitting 85 petitions challenging the government order sanctioning Plus Two schools and 411 additional batches.
The Plus two issue had been rocking the UDF government for the past few weeks with Opposition parties alleging corruption and irregularities in the sanction of new schools and batches.