STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Onam Exams Set to Begin, But No Textbooks

Published: 26th August 2014 06:27 AM  |   Last Updated: 26th August 2014 06:27 AM   |  A+A-

KOZHIKODE: Schools are going ahead with their Onam examinations, even as the textbooks and teachers’ handbooks are yet to arrive for the current academic year. Some schools say that they have received the textbooks newly printed for the year, but textbooks from the earlier curriculum are yet to arrive. However, the department clarifies that flaws in the distribution are leading to the issue and enough textbooks have already been printed.

A teacher from the district says that they have just received the handbooks for the third lesson. “A meeting convened at the DDE’s offices based in Kozhikode, Ernakulam and Thiruvananthapuram had decided that the excess textbooks in one sub-district should be distributed among the other schools in the same sub-district, but no action has been taken so far,” she says.

The Onam examinations for high school students started on Monday. The examinations for the higher secondary section will begin on August 27, those of the upper primary section on August 28, and for the lower primary section, on August 29. Textbooks for classes one, three, five, seven and Plus One were revised after five years. Only last week, the teachers said, they received the notification on how much of the syllabus should be covered prior to the examination. This year, when the textbooks were distributed through the Postal Department, teachers from the town had to go to Vadakara and personally fetch books, on selected days, when each set of textbooks arrived.

When some of them get modules on the portions to be taught, they upload them on the internet for the other teachers. Last week, a cluster meeting for rare courses was conducted.

Term Exams for Class I to X Postponed

T’Puram/Kochi: All terminal exams slated for Tuesday for Classes 1 to 10 have been postponed in view of the educational bandh called by Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), said Director Of Public Instruction Goplakrishna Bhatt. New dates will be announced later. The bandh is in protest against Education Minister P K Abdu Rabb’s move to allot more Plus-Two schools and batches bypassing the recommendations of Higher secondary director. ABVP state secretary Dr B R Arun has alleged that the government is busy engaged in minority appeasement by allowing batches and schools belonging to a particular section only.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp