STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

'Land to be Acquired Forcibly'

Published: 04th September 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th September 2014 12:22 AM   |  A+A-

KAKKANAD: The district administration is planning to employ ‘forcible method of land acquisition’ for acquiring land from the firm, Malabar Gold, to prevent further delay in completing the land acquisition process for the Metro Rail project.

“A meeting will be held on Wednesday to discuss the price. If they continue to stick to their stand we will move to ‘forcible method’ of land acquisition,” an official said.

Roughly one acre of land has to be acquired from Malabar Gold for the Edappally station construction. The district administration had fixed `31.6 lakh per cent for the land to be acquired from the area through a district-level purchasing committee (DLPC) and the owners were willing to surrender their land. But later, Malabar Gold backtracked from the deal.

“The district administration called a meeting with authorities of the firm several times, but the latter did not respond. Moreover, they also negotiated the price and wanted double the amount of that fixed as compensation for the land. We are left with no other option than to go for the forcible method,” said an official with the district administration.

The District Collector, who also wields executive magistrate’s powers, can acquire land in situations of emergency for crucial projects within 48 hours after issuing a notice to the party. The acquisitions will be based on the 1894 LA Act section 17.

So far, over 80 per cent of land has been acquired for the project, but the acquisition of the remaining 20 per cent has been moving at a snail’s pace owing to some hurdles. Apart from Malabar Gold, the Oriental Timbers that is also not willing to surrender their land will be accosted by the forcible method.

“A court intervention is prevailing in the case of Oriental Timbers. After getting legal advice from the authorities concerned action will be taken against them,” he said.

A few weeks ago, the District Collector acquired land from Pathadipalam using forcible method after issuing a 48-hour notice. It is learnt that the district administration is also gearing up to complete the land acquisition by the end of this month in order to avoid further delay.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kerala news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp