Malappuram collectorate blast: Two men from al-Qaeda inspired group arrested in Madurai

A low intensity pressure cooker bomb placed in the back of a car parked in the court complex went off with a deafening noise on the Civil Station compound in NOvember last year. 
Image used for representational purpose.
Image used for representational purpose.

MALAPPURAM: Two key accused in the Malappuram collectorate bomb blast, including the leader of banned organisation, Base Movement, were arrested from Madurai on Sunday. The accused were produced before the district sessions court on Monday and remanded in judicial custody for eight days.

The special investigation team probing the case, which occurred on November 1, 2016, nabbed N Abubacker, (40), of Shivakami street, and seventh accused Abdu Rahman, (27), native of Quidemillath Nagar, Madurai.

A low intensity pressure cooker bomb placed in the back of a car parked in the court complex went off with a deafening noise on the Civil Station compound. A small cardboard box with the words ‘Base Movement’ and a map of India with a photo of Osama Bin laden were recovered from the site.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has already arrested five Tamil Nadu natives- Abbas Ali, Samsun Kareem Raja, Dawood Sulaiman, Shamsudheen, and Mohamed Ayub, who owe allegiance to the Base Movement.

Police said those arrested on Sunday were also accused in the bomb explosions reported from judicial courts located at Kollam, Chittur, Nellore and Mysore. The sixth accused, Abubacker is the founder of the Base Movement, an Al-Qaeda inspired group formed in 2015.

Police said Abubacker constituted a terror organization, Al-Muthaqeen Force (AMF), in 2014 to exact revenge for the encounter killing of Tamil Nadu based terror organisation Al Ummah’s leader Imam Ali.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com