AC in SCB on fire

Published: 05th August 2013 09:42 AM  |   Last Updated: 05th August 2013 09:42 AM   |  A+A-

Patients at the Burn Unit of the SCBMCH had a scare when an air-conditioner went up in smoke following a short circuit on Sunday afternoon.

Though the fire was minor and was controlled immediately, around 15 patients admitted to the unit under the Plastic Surgery Department were shifted out as a precautionary measure. No one was hurt in the incident.

The air-conditioner in cabin No 1 of the unit caught fire following a spark in the wire.

The patient admitted to the cabin along with his attendants were immediately evacuated along with 14 others in the entire ward.

The GED staff were called in to inspect the electricity wiring and undertake immediate repair measures. The patients were returned to the unit in the evening.

“The attendants first noticed the spark and alerted the staff. We immediately carried out the evacuation as precaution. No patient or attendant has been hurt,” said HOD Prof Arun Chowdhury.

According to sources, the mishap occurred due to faults in the electricity wiring. Major part of the hospital, in fact, runs the risk of such mishaps as the wires are decades old.

No effort has been made to repair or replace the cables and wires running through the Departments, wards, OTs and important establishments of the hospital, sources rued.

This is the second instance in a year. In August last year, an air-conditioner had also caught fire in the Neurosurgery ICU.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp