STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Two washed away in flood water

Two persons died as they were swept away by the flood water in Badasahi and Shyamakhunta blocks, while four others of Rasgobindpur and Morada areas sustained severe injuries as walls collapsed on them while they were sleeping.

Published: 23rd August 2013 11:32 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd August 2013 11:32 AM   |  A+A-

Two persons died as they were swept away by the flood water in Badasahi and Shyamakhunta blocks, while four others of Rasgobindpur and Morada areas sustained severe injuries as walls collapsed on them while they were sleeping. The deceased have been identified as Laxmikanta Mohanty (23) of Salagaon and Chhutu Mahanta (45) of Paikabasa village. They were swept away while crossing two water bodies.

Flood situation in parts of Mayurbhanj and Balasore districts has turned grim with Subanarekha, Budhabalanga, Jambhira, Gangahar and Jalaka rivers remaining in spate for consecutive second day on Thursday.

Over two lakh people of around 300 villages in both the districts including 236 villages in Balasore have been affected. While Bhogarai, Jaleswar, Basta, Baliapal and Sadar blocks in Balasore are the worst hit, parts of Badasahi, Betnoti, Rasgobindpur and Morada blocks in Mayurbhanj have been affected.

Though Balasore administration has evacuated nearly 1,000 people from 10 marooned villages in Sadar block, people in other blocks continue to remain cut off from the mainland as flood water submerged the connecting roads.

People in the cut-off areas alleged that they had not received any relief from the administration, which had claimed to have stocked food materials at panchayat godowns. 

“Balasore has been the worst hit with over 1.5 lakh people in 236 villages affected due to flood in Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha and Jalaka rivers. We have opened free kitchens,” said a revenue officer.

Vehicular communication to northern parts of Balasore were affected as flood water was flowing over Gandhi Chhack-Baliapal road. Flood water has breached embankment of rivers at several places.

Flood hit villagers in Sindhia panchayat alleged that they had not received food even though they were marooned for the last two days. “We are cut off from the mainland since Tuesday night. Neither any official has visited us nor any relief material provided to us. We are virtually starving,” they alleged.

While Subarnarekha and Jalaka rivers are flowing above the danger level, the water in Budhabalanga is receding. Subarnarekha was flowing at 11.93 metre mark against the red mark of 10.36 metre whereas the water level in Jalaka was at 6.21 metre.

Water in Subarnarekha is expected to increase more as Jharkhand has started releasing water from its reservoirs. 

Collector Parameswaran B said four teams of Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force had been deployed in Baliapal, Jaleswar and Bhogarai areas.

Reports from Mayurbhanj stated that the flood water in Budhabalanga has started receding and about 1200 people who were evacuated have been given shelter in schools and temporary tents on the road.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp