Raja’s bail plea rejected

Published: 19th March 2013 11:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 19th March 2013 11:07 AM   |  A+A-

 Former minister Raghunath Mohanty’s son Raja Shree Mohanty, who was arrested for allegedly torturing his wife for dowry, was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days after his bail application was rejected by a court here on Monday.

Raja Shree (28), a native of Shyamsundarpur under Basta police limits, was produced before Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate (SDJM) of Balasore Ranjan Kumar Sutar. He was arrested by the Human Rights Protection Cell (HRPC) near Choudwar in Cuttack on Sunday.

Sources said Raja Shree’s anticipatory bail application was rejected by the High Court on Saturday. His counsel Gouri Kumar Barik said after rejection of bail petition by the SDJM, a fresh bail application had been filed in the court of district sessions judge. “The petition will be heard on March 21,” he informed.

Raja Shree was arrested in the wake of a dowry torture case filed against him by his wife Barsa Swony Mohanty (23) of Bhoisahi here. Apart from Raja Shree, a case under Sections 498 (a), 448, 506 and 34 of the IPC has also been registered against Raghunath, his wife Pritilata, daughter Rupashree and son-in-law Suvendu Madhual.

After the case was registered, Raghunath had to resign as Minister for Housing and Urban Development, Law and IT on March 15. He has refuted the allegations as false and fabricated. A team of HRPC officials led by DSP Subal Kar is investigating the case.

Barsa’s lawyer Amar Nanda said prima facie evidences indicated that she was tortured both physically and mentally for dowry. Barsa, a BTech in Information Technology, has also accused Raja Shree, who works as an engineer in a private steel plant in Jamshedpur, of having extra-marital affairs.

Appreciating the efforts of police for registering the case immediately and HRPC for arresting Raja Shree, she demanded arrest of the former minister, his wife, daughter and son-in-law. “I want to see all of them behind the bars. They have spoiled my life,” she said. Raja Shree was interrogated by the HRPC team before he was produced in the court.

As the arrest of the minister was demanded from various quarters, he remained incommunicado since the day of his resignation. He was neither seen at the Assembly nor at his residence, while his mobile phone remained switched off. His other family members, accused in the case, are also absconding.

Stay up to date on all the latest Odisha news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp