SAMBALPUR: Passengers of a Burla-bound bus had a narrow escape after it caught fire near Naxapali on the outskirts of Sambalpur City under Sadar police limits during wee hours on Wednesday. The bus was coming from Bhubaneswar. No one was injured in the incident. The fire which as per preliminary investigation, started due to a short circuit in the electric cable of the bus spread to the entire vehicle.
Sources said as the passengers had closed the windows of the bus due to cold, some of them were able to detect the smoke and informed the bus staff. But the staff initially ignored their complaint.
It was only after some passengers felt suffocated and tried to open the windows which had got jammed, the driver stopped the bus and all of them got down. Soon after, fire engulfed the bus.
By the time fire brigade personnel and police rushed to the spot the bus was charred. A case has been registered.